1955 Aston Martin DB3S
Offered by RM Auctions | Monterey, California | August 18, 2012
The Aston Martin DB3S was introduced in 1953 and produced through 1955. It was developed from the DB3 – a race car in its own right, although less successful on track than the DB3S would turn out to be. Eleven “Works” examples were built (factory raced by Aston Martin). In 1955, the company introduced a customer version.
Twenty of these customer cars were built and they used an updated version of the DB3S’ 3.0-liter straight-six, making 210 horsepower. This is car #118 (the 18th of the customer cars) and it is finished in a vibrant shade of orange, as it was originally delivered to a a Dutch racing driver named Hans Davids. The Dutch love their orange.
The car spent its life in privateer hands (with gentlemen drivers), but it did compete – and it did so against the likes of Stirling Moss, Roy Salvadori, Jo Bonnier, and Mike Hawthorn. The competition history of this car is as follows:
- 1956 Goodwood (4/14) – 3rd (with Hans Davids)
- 1956 Silverstone Daily Express – 17th (with Davids)
- 1956 Grand Prix of Spa – 4th (with Davids)
- 1956 Zandvoort – 1st (with Davids)
- 1956 Opatija – DNF (with Davids)
- 1957 Zandvoort – 1st (with Davids)
- 1958 SCCA Nationals at Bridgehampton – 1st in class (with Fred Windridge)
- 1958 Lime Rock National Championship Races – 10th, 1st in class (with Alan Markelson)
- 1959 USAC Road Racing Championship Ponoma – DNF (with Bob Oker)
The car was restored and returned to its original color in the 1980s. Since then it has been well-maintained in ready-to-race condition. This car has known ownership history from new and no stories. Many people like their Astons in green, but I have to say that this looks really good in Dutch Racing Orange. I’d like to see more like it. The pre-sale estimate is $3,500,000-$4,000,000. For the complete lot description, click here. And for more from RM in during the Pebble Beach week, click here.
Update: Sold $3,685,000.
Pingback: RM Pebble Beach 2012 Highlights | Classic Car Weekly