1985 March-Cosworth 85C
Offered by Gooding & Company | Amelia Island, Florida | March 13, 2015
We’ve actually featured a March 86C before, the 1986 Indy 500-winning car. This is the previous year’s model, the 85C. This car was campaigned by Penske Racing.
This March chassis is powered by a turbocharged 2.6-liter Cosworth DFX V-8 making 700 horsepower at a screaming 10,900 RPM. While this was primarily Al Unser’s ride for the ’85 season, it was also driven by Danny Sullivan and Rick Mears. It’s major competition history includes:
- 1985 Indianapolis 500 – 4th (with Al Unser)
- 1985 Milwaukee – 3rd (with Rick Mears)
- 1985 Meadowlands U.S. Grand Prix – 3rd (with Unser)
- 1985 Cleveland Grand Prix – 3rd (with Unser)
- 1985 Michigan 500 – 2nd (with Unser)
- 1985 Pocono 500 – 3rd (with Unser)
- 1985 Laguna Seca 300k – 2nd (with Unser)
So what if the car never won? It finished in the top five in all but two of the races it competed in and ran 12 of that season’s 14 races. The car was last used around 2000 when it was driven in a historic event at California Speedway. It’s pretty cool, plus it has that awesome Penske/Pennziol paint scheme. It can be yours for between $200,000-$250,000. Click here for more info and here for the rest of Gooding & Company’s lineup.
Update: Sold $231,000.