1959 OSCA Tipo S-273
Offered by Gooding & Company | Amelia Island, Florida | March 11, 2016
O.S.C.A. was founded by the Maserati brothers after they left the company that bore their name. The company, whose initials stood for Officine Specializzate Costruzione Automobili – Fratelli Maserati S.pA., was set up in Bologna in 1947 and lasted through 1967. They built mostly racing cars although some road cars were available as well.
The S-273 originally came with a 1.1-liter four but this car had an engine swap before delivery to its first owner, Briggs Cunningham. The new engine is a 860cc straight-four making 75 horsepower (down 20 from the original). This was a Cunningham team car and as such competed in the following race:
- 1960 12 Hours of Sebring – 56th, DNF (with Denise McCluggage and Marianne Windridge)
That was the final race for this car under Cunningham’s flag (it had earlier appearances in regional events). It then went to a privateer who continued to use it. It has been restored to its original Cunningham livery with the 860cc engine. This is a model that saw low production numbers and it should bring between $650,000-$800,000. Click here for more info and here for more from this sale.
Update: Not sold.
Update: Sold, Gooding & Company, Pebble Beach 2016, $605,000.