Offered by Bring a Trailer Auctions | Online | December 2020
So the story goes that John Lambert built his first gasoline-powered car in 1891, beating both the Duryea brothers and Elwood Haynes to the punch as having built America’s first gas-powered car. Lambert advertised that car for $500, but never actually sold any. A few years later, he got a visit from Haynes, who informed him that the Haynes would be advertised as “America’s first car.” Not quite true, Mr. Haynes.
Lambert never challenged it, and he didn’t start building cars for commercial sale until 1906. The Lambert Automobile Company was a subsidiary of the Buckeye Manufacturing Company that also owned several automotive suppliers. The company stopped producing cars in 1917.
The Model 66 was only built in 1912 and was available as a four- or five-passenger touring car. This five-passenger variant retailed for $1,500 when new and is powered by a 35-horsepower inline-four. This example was restored within the past 10 years and is now up for auction on BaT. The auction ends Monday. Click here for more info.
Offered by Barrett-Jackson | Scottsdale, Arizona | January 19, 2013
If I had to describe this car in one word it would be “opulent.” Pierce-Arrows were known as high-quality, high-cost automobiles for most of their existence and it’s cars like this that gave them that well-deserved reputation. It was one of the best cars you could buy in 1919.
And so, legendary film comedian Roscoe “Fatty” Arbuckle purchased this car as a bare chassis in 1919 and had it shipped to Don Lea Coach & Bodyworks in Los Angeles to have this custom body fitted. At the time, the designer working for the Don Lea coachbuilding company was a young Harley Earl. The color is described as “purple-blue” and whatever you want to call it, it is certainly striking. Especially when accented with those impossible-to-keep-clean all-white tires.
The Model 66 was introduced in 1910 and by 1918 it was a pretty old design. This 1919 model was one of the last built. In total, 1,250 were built and only about 14 survive today (only seven are the A-4 type). The engine is a monstrous 13.5-liter straight six making around 60 horsepower.
Tom Barrett (of Barrett-Jackson) acquired the car in 1976 and a light cosmetic restoration was performed before it was acquired by the Blackhawk Collection in 1982 where it remained until 2006. It was restored completely by its current owner, winning first-in-class at Pebble Beach in 2007. This is an exceptional automobile with a storied history and a one-of-a-kind look. For more information, click here.