2006 McLaren-Mercedes MP4/21
Offered by Bonhams | Abu Dhabi, U.A.E. | November 25, 2023
The 2006 Formula One season was a classic Fernando Alonso/Michael Schumacher dogfight, with Alonso coming out on top. Behind Ferrari and Renault was McLaren, and this was their car for that year. Kimi Raikkonen was in one car, while Pedro de la Rosa replaced Juan Pablo Montoya in the other car midway through the season.
It was an Adrian Newey design and was powered by a Mercedes-Benz 2.4-liter V8 good for 750 horsepower. The competition history for this chassis, MP4/21-2, includes:
- 2006 Bahrain Grand Prix – 3rd (with Kimi Raikkonen)
- 2006 Malaysian Grand Prix – 22nd, DNF (with Raikkonen)
- 2006 Australian Grand Prix – 2nd (with Raikkonen)
- 2006 San Marino Grand Prix – 5th (with Raikkonen)
- 2006 European Grand Prix at Nurburgring – 4th (with Raikkonen)
- 2006 Spanish Grand Prix – 5th (with Raikkonen)
- 2006 Monaco Grand Prix – 20th, DNF (with Raikkonen)
- 2006 French Grand Prix – 5th (with Raikkonen)
McLaren restored the car before selling it off, and it hasn’t been used since. The pre-sale estimate is $2,500,000-$3,500,000. Click here for more info.