2001 McLaren MP4-16
Offered by RM Sotheby’s | Munich, Germany | November 26, 2022
Adrian Newey (and team) designed a pretty stout car for the 2001 Formula One season. It wasn’t enough to best Ferrari, but it was enough to place second in the constructor’s championship. It was McLaren’s sixth-straight season with drivers David Coulthard and Mika Hakkinen.
The period West livery has been replaced with “David” graphics, as Coulthard did well in this car. It’s competition history (for this, chassis MP4-16A-05) includes:
- 2001 San Marino Grand Prix – 2nd (with David Coulthard)
- 2001 Spanish Grand Prix – 5th (with Coulthard)
- 2001 Austrian Grand Prix – 1st (with Coulthard)
- 2001 Monaco Grand Prix – 5th (with Coulthard)
- 2001 Canadian Grand Prix – 3rd (with Mika Hakkinen)
- 2001 German Grand Prix – 12th, DNF (with Coulthard)
It was also used as a test car at various races. During the season, it was powered by a 3.0-liter Mercedes (Ilmor) V10 that made about 830 horsepower. Now it just has a dummy display engine in its place. No estimate is provided. Click here for more info.
Update: Not sold.